Cross sections examinations are carried out on specimens. Placed in the bath, they accompany the parts through their various treatments and receive the same coating.
This is a destructive testing method carried out on a sample using an optical and electron microscope with appropriate magnification. The coating is highlighted by cutting a cross-section of the part.
At Verbrugge we can carry out cross section examinations of our deposits.
This type of check gives particularly rich results. It is used to measure the thickness of one or more layers (which can vary from one to several dozen micrometres) to obtain the necessary information on:
– Their consistency, micro-structural state, the presence of cracks, porosity and discontinuity.
– The roughness profile of the part and its deposit.
– The coating quality, particularly on sharp edges and corners.
– Failure mode(s) (view of the damaged surfaces, estimation of the depth of attack).
– The metallurgical health of the base material.
– Structural checking of coatings from 2μm to 500μm.